Wednesday 14 January 2009

Club News 11th January

I'm very pleased to report that, despite missing 2 regulars, our A team beat Church Stretton A by 4.5 to 0.5. We were helped by our opponents defaulting on board 5 (Sorry, Geoff, for your wasted efforts travelling from work in Shrewsbury to your home near Bridgnorth and back in the fog to Church Stretton). We had no problem fielding a full five, thanks to plenty of volunteers to stand-in (thanks Stefan, Geoff, Windsor and (prior to flu) Gareth).
Details:
Karl Wakefield 0 - 1 Trevor
Steve Rooney 1/2 - 1/2 Colin
Graham Shepherd 0 - 1 Iain
John Whittaker 0 - 1 Stefan
Default 0 - 1 Geoff
An interesting situation arose in my game against Graham Shepherd. I was a pawn up and with plenty of time in hand when Graham, down to his last 2 minutes, stopped the clocks and claimed a draw, alleging that I would be unable to force a pawn through to Queen and win. In a tournament we would have been able to call upon a controller to watch the rest of the game and decide whether I was making progress towards a win. Without a controller, the best we could do was to note the board position and for me to record moves meticulously. As a bonus, Colin and Steve agreed a draw so that they could observe the game. The game was resumed, with me quickly capturing a second pawn. Graham's flag fell with the arrival of my new Queen only a few moves away and he duly resigned. But what would have happened if such a clearcut position had not been reached? I think it is only a matter of time before a situation like this is referred to the League Controller.

I won't see most of you this coming Wednesday as I shall probably be in the team playing away to Bushbury,
Iain

No comments: